Skip to main content

New Instruction!

thought it was about time that I introduced myself! I am Susannah, the new addition to David Clark’s sales team. I have worked in the property industry for a few years now but mostly selling new build properties. Moving back in to estate agency has definitely been the “rightmove” It is coming up to end of my second week, despite the incident that I had on my second day! One always likes to make a good impression when you start a new job; however making an impression on the company car was not what I had in mind!

The day had started so well, I was brimmed with enthusiasm and eagerness, but unfortunately that keenness managed to spill over! I had my first two viewings, I was meeting the potential purchasers at the properties, I had the keys, their contact details, and particulars…I had all areas covered. As I approached the thickly covered gravelled car park, where the unsuspecting Toyota Yaris was waiting, the sun was shining the air was fresh and sound of birdsong made me smile. The calm before the storm!

The car park was so full I knew that a few manoeuvres were going to be needed. In reverse and off I go, well all of two yards! Don’t ask me how but somehow with a combination of my over zealous reversing and the thick gravel I got the car completely and utterly stuck! That wasn’t all; I was on the verge of a steep decent. I couldn’t go forward and I couldn’t go back! Time was ticking, I needed to get to the first viewing. I made an executive decision and left the car, hot footed it down Lisle Lane, well as hot as possible in four inch heels, and got my car. I arrived for the viewing, rather flustered but I put the car to the back of my mind and had a successful viewing.

After the viewing I called Barbara back at the office to let her know what had happened, David was still out on an appointment. She was very reassuring and said we would sort it out when I got back. Off to the second viewing. I arrived and greeted the potential purchaser, really lovely lady and her adorable Labrador. You might have heard the expression “When you’ve got to go you’ve got to go” Lets just say so had the dog. Lucky a bag was handy! The viewing was complete and time to head back and face the music…I was either going to be dancing with relief or sliding my feet with further embarrassment. I was the latter, that car was stuck good and proper!

Barbara called her husband, who came to the rescue. However it was even beyond him. He needed to enlist the help of a nearby shopkeeper to actually attach a rope and pull the car out! Thank goodness, now all I had to hope was that there was no damage. Oh and the other detail was that I hadn’t told David what I had done! There was a last minute viewing that I needed to get to so the explanation was on hold. Back to the property where we had the earlier deposit from our four legged friend and nowhere to park! So some blisters later I made it there and the viewing went well. It was now gone 6.30pm so I decided to call it a day and chat to David in the morning, face to face! However I had one last surprise. Just as I got back to the car I felt something land on my head…I was left a souvenir from a passing pigeon! Perhaps it thought I needed some luck! Well I am still here to tell the tale!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's July 2022!

 How many bloggers find that it's only something they do when they have found some time to fill, for whatever reason? I admit that there are companies and individuals who will write something for me on a regular basis, but my feeling is that it needs to be authentic and my 'voice'. When I get back to my keyboard to do this it makes me worry that the market may be changing and we'll need to start adapting again to new circumstances, new problems and constraints. The dreaded COVID has not gone away, just adapted itself. My wife Janet managed to pick it up from her 93 year old father after spending several hours with him coughing and sneezing on the way back from a trip to Wales. Her first time contracting it since the pandemic began and it's been 4 days now since she tested positive. My results are negative. I told my colleagues that's because I'm a 64 year old Teflon coated estate agent! But then, who knows when a variant particularly targeted at the property
Interest rates and inflation First of all, let’s get some basics together. Reproduced below is The Times ‘explainer’ with my numbering of reasons and highlighting of the players involved: The Bank of England has warned that it could peak at 13% this year when the energy price cap goes up again. But what is pushing up prices? Energy bills are by far one of the biggest contributors. (1) Gas prices rocketed as economies around the world reopened after the coronavirus lockdowns. (2) The war in Ukraine has exacerbated the problem. In April, average gas and electricity prices jumped by 53.5% and 95.5% respectively compared with a year ago. (3) Average energy bills are now forecast to hit £3,850 by January 2023 after Russia cut gas supplies further. Fuel remains at some of the highest levels seen on record, although pump prices are falling, slowly . Average petrol prices were 182.69p a litre in July . In early June you could expect to pay 186.59p. In May you could expect to pay 160.31p

House builders discuss 95% mortgages with lenders

So the house builders and the lenders have had a meeting to discuss how they can create 95% mortgages. Basically a good thing, as you would imagine most estate agents would say. But what proportion of the housing Market is represented by new homes sales to first time buyers? Also any first time buyer who purchases a new home is then a cost to the second hand Market of who knows how many sales! If I think back 30 years my wife and I as first time buyers were providing a deposit of 10%. To do this we sold her car, saved up by not going out as much and generally committed ourselves to the task of buying our first home together. Ah, you might say, but house prices were so much cheaper then. True but my salary was just under £2,000 per annum with the prospect of perhaps another £1,000 in commission from selling at lease 6 houses per month personally. The first 4 didn't count towards commission but were to cover my costs to my employer! I personally don't think 95% mortgages are